Monday, May 14, 2007

2007-05-12 Jackie's Quinceaneras, Lions Club, Key Largo, Florida Keys

MTV doesn't have anything on us. This event was bigger than big, cooler than cool. Miss Jackie has so many friends, they almost didn't fit into the 300 capacity Lions Club Banquet Hall. The guests began to arrive at around 6:30pm. Jackie looked gorgeous in her white Quinceaneras dress. She was behind the curtain waiting for her grand entrance. I was one of the priviledged few to get a glimpse before the coming out event. Most of the guests were in the Lions Den by 7:30 when the main event was to begin. I was given the priviledge of performing as master of ceremonies and disc jockey. I was already playing the latest R&B tunes, Miss Jackie was singing along with many of them. I got the crowds attention and read to them a few of the facts about Jackie. I activated the fog machine and lights. The curtains were opened to reveal the beautiful young lady. Her court, or chambelones, of 14 young men was lined up and waiting to each present a rose to her. Next, Miss Jackie danced with her grandpa, then her cousin cut in halfway through as planned. The chambelones were then given the microphone to pass along and say a few nice things about the little girl that was becoming a woman. It was very sweet. Next on the agenda was a surprise presentation of a bracelet by her younger brother, Markey. It was very special. She had no idea. Jackie's mom, Jannette was next up to say a few words to her daughter. It was so heartfelt and sweet. I believe that everyone felt her sentiments. It was then Jackie's turn at the mic. She had such nice things to say to her family and friends. I saw many tears of joy. It was then time for the folks to eat. It was also time for the party guests to get their chance to get photographed with the princess. There were many, many folks that wanted to take advantage of that priviledge. After dinner, Jackie changed into a dance outfit, and she and her friend, Rene, made a beautiful salsa dance presentation. The party guests loved it! It was then time to start the dance party. Since this was a latin event, I started off with some salsa and merengue. The crowd was getting pumped. Jackie's grandfather, Ramon, set up some snare and bongo drums and joined in on percussion. That was great! I then switched to some newer hip hop, then back to latino, then old school hip hop, then latin. I then got a request from the older folks (over 30... hehe) for some disco music. I was happy to oblige. The tunes were a nice mix of old and new. The party people were dancing and sweating and smiling. The dance floor was packed for most of the night. I even had quite a few up on stage with me. It was great. Jackie is well on her way to womanhood. I am so happy to have been a part of her BIG day, The pictures that I took are here: http://www.keysdan.com/2007-05-12_Jackies_Quinceaneras.htm

Public Service Message: Say "No" underage drinking.

No comments: